Yesterday, Adobe issued layoffs. Today, Adobe made a stunning announcement, their new mobile strategy will no longer include flash for the mobile browser.
Here is their wording:
We will no longer continue to develop Flash Player in the browser to work with new mobile device configurations (chipset, browser, OS version, etc.) following the upcoming release of Flash Player 11.1 for Android and BlackBerry PlayBook
This follows, what I would describe as, 2 years of the worst PR given to any software or platform that I can remember.
My question to Adobe is:
How would you think this little announcement would be received by the already bitter tech community?
Here’s a few headlines:
– Apple’s Steve Jobs vindicated as Adobe kills mobile Flash
– Adobe kills Flash on mobile devices
– Adobe kills Flash Player for mobile browsers
– Why Adobe Failed and Where Startups Can Swoop In
When Adobe makes strategic decisions like this, I’m guessing they do it for the following reasons:
1. Reassure their investors and
2. Increase share prices
It is my opinion that Adobe’s PR ninjas failed at both of these tasks today.